Thursday, July 30, 2009


Etsy: Your place to buy & sell all things handmade
Bebopgirl1969Jewelry.etsy.com


So, I'm seeing lots of Russian doll designs in the Fall Fashion previews--woo-hoo! But here's what I'm finding quite crazy: the prices! Just yesterday I saw that a big design studio is selling the same wooden beads I use in my designs--not in a design of their own, but just hanging on a kilt pin (the same way I bought many of mine) for £15 (about $25--you can get an entire necklace at my shop for less than that with some designs!)! Now, that is an insane price to pay--I paid about £3 (about $5) for most of mine, and believe me, I didn't buy them in the kind of bulk that a big studio would. Crazy!
At the same time, I see one or two beads being used in necklaces for huge money, as well.

All I'm saying is--I know that when something becomes the "must have" fashion thing; when it becomes a huge trend--then the big fashion houses and the high street stores get big money for things. But please, please look a little harder and you can find really unique items for much better prices. And hey, in the case of my Russian doll necklaces, I may not be the head of a fashion house in Paris or Milan, but my pieces are one of a kind and they are hand designed!

No comments:

Post a Comment